Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why Jeffrey Combs Is So Awesome

Jeffrey Combs is one of the greatest character actors of our time...He could be compared to Claude Rains, Walter Brennan, or even M. Emmet Walsh. Jeffrey has been terribly prolific acting in more films and shows that anyone would even notice. He pops up constantly with me always asking, "is that Jeffrey Combs", and it always is.
I first saw Jeffrey in Re-Animator, this is also the time I discovered H.P. Lovecraft, I loved his humor and horror. Re-Animator is the story of Herbert West; a Swiss medical student who has perfected a serum for regenerating life into dead things...or even parts of dead things. But a corrupt superior, Dr. Carl Hill, assumes control of West's experiments using the stuff on his own severed head and body. West struggles to control the now out-of-control effects of the serum. This is the first and my personal favorite H.P. Lovecraft film I saw featuring Jeffrey Combs.



Other H.P. Lovecraft* stories featuring Jeffrey Combs...From Beyond, Necronomicon, Lurking Fear, Castle Freak(another personal favorite),The Dunwich Horror, and of course the sequels of Re-Animator: Bride of Re-Animator, Beyond Re-Animator, and to come House of Re-Animator.

* H.P. Lovecraft(August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937) was an American author of horror, fantasy, and science fiction, known then simply as weird fiction.


Along with his collaboration with Lovecraft's stories he has had a long working relationship with Stuart Gordon. Stuart Gordon is one of the more interesting horror directors, he tends to bring classic horror into the present. Jeffery and Gordon have worked on Re-animator, Castle Freak, The Black Cat, The Pit and The Pendulum, From Beyond, and now a stage show Nevermore featuring Jeffrey as Edgar Allen Poe.




Since I did claim Jeffrey Combs to be one of the greatest character actors of our time I suppose I should back that up...In film or TV I'm sure you have seen him, but never even noticed.

Pit and The Pendulum


Return to House on Haunted Hill


Abominable


Frighteners


Star Trek


Well, I know this was far too nerdy, but there are so many reasons to think that Jeffrey Combs is awesome. I hope I have inspired you to check out a few of his films or maybe just be able to recognize Jeffrey Combs when you see him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly House of Re-Animator has been a dead project for about 4 years now, but I do agree with you about Jeff's awesomeness...mostly. :)

the heather said...

I checked out your claim and have gotten; yes House of Re-animator is a go and no House is dead... IMDB still has a 2010 release date. Lets cross our fingers. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

I have this from Stuart Gordon & Jeff themselves that House is very dead and has been for 4 years. You can always hope the (possibly scary) remake of Re-Animator in 3D comes to pass, though. ;)

the heather said...

That's too bad...thanks for the insight. Well I'm sure whatever is next will be extremely entertaining.